30 quick and easy healthy snack options you can make at home! - health and healing @gwaphousemag #salute a healthy lifestyle
The Apple Sandwich
Nothing beats eating well and saving money and these quick and easy healthy snack options can save you all the way around your wallet and waist line.
This 30 snack explosion is staright from sixsisterstuff.com but we found it on http://www.infinitelifefitness.com/tag/cheap-healthy-snacks/ enjoy!
1. 1 cup of Cherry Tomatoes (can mix these with one serving size of crackers to make a great filling afternoon snack!)
2. Small Green Salad with light dressing (suggested serving size is about a handful of lettuce. Try a light vinaigrette dressing. Try to stay away from the creamy thick dressings. Those carry the most calories)
3. Mango smoothie (frozen mango, mango Greek Yogurt or plain Greek yogurt, and a small amount of orange juice or any other juice that you like. Try to use no more than one serving size of juice and make sure that it is 100% fruit juice)
4. Kabobs (thread low-fat meat, low-fat cheese, pineapple and cherry tomatoes onto a stick. You can always substitute other fruit/veggie options)
5.one slice of WHOLE WHEAT bread topped with peanut butter and banana slices (make sure it is whole wheat bread. this is one of the best options when consuming bread products)
5. Grilled Pineapple (throw them on the grill or a skillet on med. heat for two minutes or until golden. The best option for these is the whole round cuts and not the chuncks)
6. Baked Apples (one tennis ball-sized apple, cored, filled with 1 teaspoon brown sugar and cinnamon, and baked until tender. You can also cut the apple into desired sizes and sprinkle the toppings onto the slices. Makes for a less messy version)
7. Strawberries dipped in fat-free Cool Whip (suggested serving size is 1 to 2 cups of strawberries and 2 tablespoons of the Cool Whip)
8. Low-fat tortilla (or whole wheat tortilla) topped with egg salad, shredded carrots and cucumber slices (you can also top is with egg whites, feta cheese, cottage cheese, or any other type of low fat topping that you like)
9. Parfait (build your own with Greek yogurt or plain yogurt, fruit, and granola. Make sure to not use to much granola! some granola can pack a lot of sugar)
10. Bowl of bran flakes with 1/2 cup skim milk and berries
11. Guacamole with you choice of veggies (suggested serving size is 1/4 cup of guacamole)
10. Triscuit’s Thin Crisps dipped in cottage cheese or hummus (this is MY personal favorite afternoon snack. i spread low fat laughing cow Swiss cheese on my crisps which is also just as good!)
11. Cashews (suggested serving size is 1 ounce. It is also good to mix this in with cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, or anything else)
12. Pretzels (suggested serving size is about 17 pretzels)
13. Sun Chips (don’t forget portion control! Read the serving amount on the side of the bag but it is usually about 1 ounce which is usually about a handful of chips)
14. Cheesy Breaded Tomatoes (Two roasted plum tomatoes sliced and topped with 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese)
15. Sugar Snap Peas (a great snack if you sprinkle your own spices on it. If you dip it into a veggie dip make sure it is low in calories and stick to the portion size)
16. Steamed Veggies (steam non-starchy vegetables in a microwave safe bag and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup pasta sauce)
17. Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges ( you can spread this on crackers, veggies, or even fruit)
18. Snack/Granola bar (around 150 calories or less, like Kellogg’s All-Bran, Kashi TLC Trail Mix, or Fiber one Bar)
19. Baked chips (about 7-10) with salsa (you can make your OWN healthier version of baked chips by toasting whole wheat tortillas! Check out THIS post for the recipe)
20. Protein Bar (great snack after your workout. Make sure to get a bar with low sugar. Be careful to get a bar that is also tasty. Some bars do not taste very well and can leave a bad taste in your mouth.)
21. Sweet Potato Fries (one light-bulb sized sweet potato sliced, tossed with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and baked at 400° for 10 minutes)
22. Snack Wrap (I like a slice of turkey, Swiss cheese, baby spinach leaves, and cranberry relish wrapped up in a tortilla)
23. Pumpkin Seeds (2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, sprayed with oil (just a spritz!) and baked at for 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on top)
24. Bean Salad (a handful of lettuce, 1/2 cup of your fav beans, top with feta cheese or some other topping makes the perfect pre-lunch snack!)
25. Peaches and Cottage Cheese
26. Chopped Red, Green, or Yellow Peppers (dipped in fat free dipping sauce or sprinkle with spices for a lower calorie snack)
27. Tuna with Triscuit crackers (yes DRY tuna is a great option but i always like to add a little relish or mustard to give it more of a taste)
28. Cooked and Cubed Chicken Breast (you can season it or toss it into a salad for a great snack or healthy meal option!)
29. Homemade Popsicles (puree watermelon, strawberries, mango, banana, etc and freeze in popsicle molds or use your ice cube tray as an alternative. You can also use small disposable cups and peel off the cup and enjoy the frozen treat!)
30. Quesadilla (whole wheat (or corn) tortillas w/cheese (or not) melted in microwave – adding on tomatoes, beans, corn, olives, avocado or guacamole or whatever sounds good. This can be a great snack or a great meal option depending on how much you add to the quesadilla!)
So keep these options in mind when making your grocery list and getting ready to make your next grocery purchase.
Stay tuned for even MORE healthy, quick, and affordable options!
PLEASE LIKE Infinite Life Fitness on Facebook!! It will give you health and fitness updates to your news feed and also keep you informed on some awesome giveaways we will be hosting soon!! Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the Facebook “Like” button.
HEALTH & HEALING